Warning: Rant to follow ;)
Why is it that people automatically assume that once you have been married for X amount of time it is perfectly appropriate and acceptable to ask THE question, "SO...when are YOU having kids?" I mean...seriously? The number of possible responses is endless....
- Maybe I secretly never want children, but don't want to let you know that because you will look at me differently.
- Maybe I can't afford a child yet and want to do life the right way...not living off the state.
- Maybe I want to wait until I have a house.
- Maybe I want to wait until I am done with school.
- Maybe I have been trying to have a child and have yet to be successful.
- Maybe the same day you asked that question, I just found out I couldn't have children.
- Maybe that is a really touchy subject and you asking makes me want to punch you in the face....or break down in tears.
- Maybe I am actually really vain and don't want to mess up my body so I am going to adopt.
- Maybe I am just not ready for kids yet.
- Maybe I would have already told you if I had wanted you to know.
....and more than likely when I am finally going to have a child, whether that be tomorrow or in 10 years from tomorrow, you will probably know.
The bottom line is....there are many reasons somebody may not be having children yet and you never know what kind of feelings you will be digging up by asking...so...just don't.
Sorry for the rant (I warned ya) but it seems as though I have hit that "point" at which I should be popping them out by now and have been asked this question a lot lately and frankly....I'm over it.


I copied most of your post and shared it on facebook, names removed of course. It was well said and needs to be shared.
ReplyDeleteUmmm. Did you read my fb status last week? I said this exact same thing! It's RIDCIULOUS the number of people who ask that question. It's so inappropriate and bugs me everytime.
ReplyDeleteAgreed!!
DeleteI want to copy this as well. I would add things like "Maybe my husband and I are having problems or getting divorced" or "Maybe you don't know me well enough to ask such an evasive question" or "How's your sex life?"
ReplyDeletehahaha I love your divorce one....maybe that's what I'll start telling people! I had somebody straight ask me if I was on birth control....ummm excuse me?
Delete