Emmalyn's birth went {almost} exactly as planned. She ended up being a scheduled c-section because she was breech with no intentions of turning. The c-section ended up being scheduled on my birthday Nov. 21st because I really wanted a certain doctor to do it. At first, I was not too sure how I felt about it...but now I would not have had it any other way. She was the best birthday present I could have asked for.
McCall and I left for a nice, leisurely drive to the hospital on Wednesday morning at 9:00. We even stopped by the post office on our way. Definitely not the way I had always imagined my drive to the hospital to be. We arrived about 10:00 and got checked into a room. Our nurse was amazing and made me feel so comfortable. I was so nervous I thought I was going to die (maybe even literally). The nurse got me all prepared for the operation and before I knew it it was time to go to the operating room. We got put into another room where I had to leave McCall. I was not too thrilled about that part. I got walked over to the operating room where it felt like 500 different nurses were doing 500 different things to me all at the same time. I felt like I was going to be sick! The anesthesiologist gave me the epidural and almost immediately I lost feeling in my lower body. It was not a great feeling. The medication made me shake like crazy too and I felt like I might fall right off the table. It kind of felt like forever before McCall finally came into the operating room. I felt so much better once he was there. Shortly after McCall walked in, the doctor came in and the drape went up so I could not see anything going on (thank goodness). I had no idea that they had even started but suddenly I felt a BIG push to the point that I felt like I couldn't breath and we heard our baby girls first cry! It was the most amazing moment of my life. I cannot even describe it. The doctor pulled the drape down a little and showed her to us.
Perfection.
Our baby girl was actually here. It was still hard to believe. It felt like she was taken away as quickly as she had arrived though! The nurses took her aside with McCall to get her all cleaned up while the doctor stapled (yes stapled) me shut. It seemed like hours, but was really just a few minutes, when the nurse finally brought my baby girl to me.
Meeting my sweetheart for the first time<3 p="p">
The Stephens Family!
Emmalyn Kay Stephens
Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm
7 pounds 3 ounces....19 1/2 inches long
Healthy and beautiful
After the nurse showed her to me for a few minutes, she was taken away again to the nursery with McCall. The doctor finished up on me and I was wheeled to recovery for 45 minutes. The longest 45 minutes of my life. I just wanted to hold my little girl! Finally, I got out of recovery and back to my room and my family met me there. McCall and Emmalyn were still in the nursery and felt like they stayed there forever! They eventually came back though and the nurse asked everybody to leave so that we could have some time with our baby alone. I finally got to hold my sweet girl and it was the most amazing thing! She was so tiny and sweet and perfect and I just could not believe she was mine..to keep..forever. Honestly, I still can't believe it sometimes!
Emmalyn is everything we hoped and prayed for and more. The rest of our hospital stay consisted of care by amazing nurses and visits by lots of friends and family and lots of snuggling with our little girl.
We have been so extremely blessed with Emmalyn in our lives. We are going through a lot of learning now having a newborn in our home but we are doing pretty great and we could not have asked for a better baby. She seriously is perfect!
Going home!
We love our little girl!<3 p="p">3>
3>








I loved reading your little girl's birth story! Emmalyn is a beauty... Just like her mama. I'm so happy for you and McCall. I know what it's like to wait to hold your baby and all that time away with daddy in the nursery. It's unbelievable how quickly a baby can steal your heart, huh? Congrats!!!
ReplyDelete