11.22.2011

30 Days of Thanks..Days 16, 17, 18 & 19

Day 16: My Grandparents


I have a truly amazing family.  I don't know how I got so lucky, but I did and I am so glad.  I was also blessed enough to get to have my grandparents and my great-grandparents in my life.  I was not so lucky on my dad's side as my grandpa passed away before I was born and my grandma lived in Connecticut, but I love them and are grateful for them all the same!  My grandparents (all of them) are the best.  Unfortunately I only have my two grandparents left on this earth as of last Nov., but while they were all alive they loved me unconditionally.  I have so many wonderful memories of my grandparents and I am so glad I have always been so close to them.  They believe in me and encourage me to be the best that I can be.  I love them all dearly.


Day 17: The People No Longer in My Life


I have talked a lot about all the people in my life who I am grateful for, but there are also a lot of people who are no longer in my life that I am also grateful for.  There are a few who I might say I am actually grateful they are no longer in my life, but that does not make me any less grateful for them.  All of these people are no longer in my life for specific reasons, but they have all taught me their own very important lesson.  I have learned and grown so much from all of these people.  One of the biggest thing they have collectively taught me is how to let go.  I am the type of person who hangs on tight to the people who I care most about.  This does not always work out so well as not everybody is meant to stay in our lives, and I have had to learn to let go...which was not easy, but I have.  I have learned how to trust as well as how to guard myself.  I have learned the definition of true friendship.  I have learned how to appreciate and think positively of those who may not feel the same or who have wronged me.  Most importantly, these people have taught me how to forgive.  I am grateful for each of these individual people because the experiences I went through with them have partly shaped the person I am today and have helped me grow.  I would not change any of it.

Day 18: Prayers (Answered and unanswered)

All of our prayers get answered, just not always in the way we want them to be.  I am so grateful for the understanding of prayer that I have and the opportunity I have to do it multiple times every day.  I am grateful for the knowledge I have that my prayers will be answered and I am grateful for the answers I have received in the past.  I am grateful that my prayers about whether or not to come to Utah were answered, I am grateful that my prayers about whether or not to marry McCall were answered, I am grateful that prayers for comfort and health and safety are answered.  I am also grateful for the prayers that were not answered the way I wanted them to be at the time because I have now seen the blessings I have received by the prayers not being answered in my way.  I am grateful my prayers were unanswered when I tried to decide what graduate program to go to, I am grateful my prayers were unanswered when I wanted to continue dating my last boyfriend although I knew it was not right for me, I am grateful for all my "unanswered" prayers.  I am grateful to know that I have a Heavenly Father who knows me, listens to me, and does what is best for me - whether I like it or not.

Day 19: Empathy

I have been given the ability to feel empathy for other people.  Sometimes this "talent" really bothers me because I feel sad for people eating along (although they may not be sad), I feel badly for fake people in movies, I just feel like my life is overrun by emotions sometimes!  As I have gotten older, however, I am beginning to understand what a blessing this is.  I have made some wonderful friends because of my ability to feel their pain and understand what they are going through.  I have become more caring and compassionate because of this.  I believe I found my profession based on this.  We have all been blessed with talents that help us and others in life - I am grateful this is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment